Gunnerside escape route to Sweden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gunnerside escape route to Sweden

Post  Willem Mugge on Sat 11 Oct 2008 - 11:55

Currently I'm working on a translation of Ray Mear's book "The real heroes of Telemark". In his book he describes the route the Gunnerside members took to escape to Sweden but if I try to plot this route on a map I get completely confused.
I'm working with the Hardangervidda map 1:100.000 and the veiatlas 1:300.000.
After the attack on the factory in Vemork they went back to Jansby in the Skrykken area, probabely via Marstnos and through Slettedal were they left a message behind for Haugland and Skinnnarland. Than on the 4 th of March they left Jansbu and spent the next night in the Sterhotel on the Haardangervidda. From there they went to a hunting lodge at the Rodungen Lake. On the 10 th of March they crossed Hallingdalen and spent the night in a summerfarm in Fjellstolen. Now I getting confused, according to Ray Mears the had to cross the Aurdalfjord, but that way to much to the west.
On the 13 th of March they are in the Gudbrandalen area, then they cross the river Glomma oa few miles north or south of Rena. At last on the 18 th of March they cross the Swedish border.

Who can tell me the exact route they took? Helsingen, Willem

Willem Mugge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Escape route

Post  Willem Mugge on Tue 14 Oct 2008 - 22:43

I found a clue in the book written by Per Roger Lauritzen. In the yearbook of the DNT from 1970 Joachim Ronneberg has written a story about the escape. So I mailed DNT and hope they are willing to make a scan and e-mail it to me.

Thanks for reading my question anyway.

Willem

Willem Mugge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunnerside escape route to Sweden

Post  Bjørn on Tue 14 Oct 2008 - 23:47

Hello!
I would have answered if I had anything to contribute.
Quite amazing that noone has replied yet, as there should be several visitors here that might could have helped you out on this question.

B.

Bjørn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gunnerside escape route to Sweden

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top