Forergarden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forergarden

Post  hpt on Sat 29 Nov 2008 - 9:15

I'm seeking details of the history, organization, uniforms, badges, weapons, barracks, etc. of Vidkun Quisling's bodyguard as Forer and Minister President for publication in a militaria journal.

I have the basic material (such as is contained in the 1942 and 1944 N.S. Aarbok, "Munin", "Nordlandir", etc.) but am really looking for greater detail.

Facts, documents and photographs would be most helpful.

What form of identity document did they carry? The same as for the Rikshird perhaps?

Did they have a flag?

One photograph suggests a cuffband (Aermelstreifen) worn on the lower left sleeve of the tunic: can this be confirmed? What was the text? Or perhaps it was a Hird regiment's cuffband worn as a tradition?

How many members a) came from DNL and the Waffen-SS, and b) went on to serve in the DNL and Waffen-SS at the front? (Photographs of two in FG uniform who were killed on the Eastern Front are published in "Munin").

Thanks for any help on what is an interesting subject!

I'm sorry this is in English, but my Norwegian is very "rusty" (I spent a wonderful year in Oslo in 1965).

hpt

hpt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Forergarden

Post  Bjørn on Sat 29 Nov 2008 - 20:36

Hello Hugh!

I will make contact trough mail.

The "Førergarde" was at its peak consisting of 4 companies, of which one was made up of former frontfighters. VQ signed an order, which said that frontline solders, who had fulfilled their contract, was to be transferred to the rolls of FG.

Each NS-district were given orders to draft suitable men for the FG. There were no cuffbands for them at any point. It is not possible to give the numbers for those who went to the front after serving, or even before. There were certainly several.

B.

Bjørn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forergarden

Post  hpt on Sun 30 Nov 2008 - 12:03

Dear B

That is wonderful information and thanks so much for your offer of help.

Sorry that my keyboard does not have that special "O" with a forward slash through it! But I'll make certain the correct spelling is used in my article!

I see that you and another 35 friends visiting this Forum read my post.

That is encouraging!

My plan - crazy as it may sound - is to publish my history of the FG in Italian in the leading Italian militaria magazine "Uniformi & Armi", then perhaps in Hungarian in "Haditudosito" (Budapest) and, if my old friend Roger Bender agrees, in his house magazine "Military Advisor" (California). But I would certainly be happy if it could "come home" and become more readily available to Norwegian readers, perhaps on the Nuav site as my article on Norges SS/Germanske SS Norge.

Best wishes and thanks again.

hpt

hpt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  odybvig on Sun 30 Nov 2008 - 18:20

Hello

You may write Förergarden (with a umlaut) or Foerergarden.
Only norwegians will understand the letter Ø

Best
Olve Dybvig

odybvig

View user profile http://www.luftwaffe.no

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge on Mon 1 Dec 2008 - 1:45

Try Alt+0246

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forergarden

Post  hpt on Sun 7 Dec 2008 - 12:29

Many thanks for the two suggestions about my failure to use the correct Norwegian letter: I don't know what it's called, but it has a forward slash over an "o". I'll insist that my publisher uses the correct symbol, failing which the Umlaut solution is a good idea: tusen takk!

I'm now thinking of studying the uniforms of the Kongens Garde, as that may help explain (at least) the special design of the forage cap worn by the Forergarden. Are their dress regulations (as valid in 1940) available?

hpt

hpt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forergarden

Post  Bob Pearson on Sun 7 Dec 2008 - 18:42

If you use Microsoft Word then go to 'Insert' - then click on 'Symbol' and inside there you will find the symbol you ar elooking for. You can then add that symbol using the 'shortcut' key.

Another method is to go to 'Start' - click on 'Control Panel' - click on 'Date, Time & language' - click on 'add another language' - click on 'settings' ad then add the language you want. When it is set you will notice a small language icon at the bottom right of your screen. For English it reads EN and for Norwegian it reads NO. You can click backwards and forwards on this icon when writing in English, but then need to use a Norwegian word.

Hope it helps a little,

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge on Sun 7 Dec 2008 - 19:22

about the Kings guard and uniform regulations. Check here:

http://www.webstaff.no/180000%20Army%20Part%208%20Kings%20Guard%20Dress%20regulations/index%20hmkg.htm

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Here are the archives

Post  Lars G on Sun 14 Dec 2008 - 16:44

Hello

The Førergarden archives are at the National archives (Riksarkivet).

Web page:

www.arkivverket.no

I will guess that you'll have to apply to see the archives.

Please tell if you need more info.

Lars G.,
Tyholt

Lars G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hpt on Sun 1 Mar 2009 - 9:15

Dear Lars

I'm sorry to be so slow with this reply and thanks for your kind suggestion.

I have now written to the State Archives and hope they can help me.

Meanwhile I have received wonderful input (words + images) through the Samlerforumet.

I hope to have my history of the FG published later this year.

Kind regards

hpt

hpt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 1 Mar 2009 - 16:25

Hugh,
I'd be honoured to include your article in Nuav! Just contact me when it is ready or if you have any questions, and I'll try to sort it out!
Best wishes,
Kurt Monsen

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nuav.rforum.biz

Back to top Go down

FG

Post  hpt on Sat 4 Apr 2009 - 4:36

Dear Kurt

Sorry to be so slow with this reply!

I am DELIGHTED that you would like to have my work on the FG on your excellent website, alongside my study of Norges SS/Germanske SS Norge.

It will take some time as I still have a lot of research to complete.

It will also be written in Italian, so I'll have to translate it into English for you!

Thanks for your encouragement.

Kind regards

HPT

hpt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 17:21

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: