GRANDFATHER'S DYING WISH...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GRANDFATHER'S DYING WISH...

Post  Gilrod1174 on Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 4:16

I need help with something that I don't quite understand. My grandfather just passed away. A few days ago he started telling a story about a young girl that he met when he was a U.S. Army solider stationed in Norway back during WWII. She was I believe 13 or 14 and for some reason really stayed with him. I believe from what we could understand, he befriended this girl and her family and was welcomed into thier home. The story is not real clear since he told it during the final week of his life. He would say to pray for Norway. He would tell us to thank this family that touched his life 65 years ago. He talked about how beautiful Norway was. He kept a piece of paper in his wallet for 65 years with what we believe to be an address. That young girl would have to be around 78 years old. This is what that piece of paper had on it. I hope someone can help us to contact this family. We have no names, just the information on this piece of paper. I will try to see if anyone responds to this. I can also be emailed at gilrod1174@aol.com

PRK BJORG ENGER
KLOSTERVEIEN 51
SKOYEN,
PR. OSLO,
NORGE

Gilrod1174

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GRANDFATHER'S DYING WISH...

Post  Admin on Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 13:21

That is a real, old adress for sure! I really hope you will find the woman in question, though I think she must have change her surname when/if she got married.
Kurt
Admin

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nuav.rforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore on Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 0:16

This should be a not to difficult task. First of all, get hold of the phonebook from 1945. There you'll probably find the name of the father or mother in the house.

From there on start with a mail to Oslo Kommune, and ask the same question. Maybe they will be able to give you the name of the people who lived there.
She probably got married and changed her name. If she had a younger or older brother it will make it easier to do the reserarch by yourself.

By the way
PRK = FRK wich is the same as Miss

It will take a couple of phone calls or mails from Norway and I'm pretty sure that the goal will be reached.
Unfortunatly I'm not able to do it since I'm in Germany.

Klosterveien has also changed name, since it's not listed in the phonebook. (Maybe I'm wrong here) It was at Vindern in Oslo.

Tore

Tore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Giz on Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 0:27

I'm pretty sure that Klosterveien is now called Konventveien. If you search www.gulesider.no/kart and enter Konventveien 51, Oslo you should probably see excatly where the house is/was. I have an old map (a copy of the one who used to hang in Fehmers office in Victoria Terrasse!) and found the address on that map. (If I'm able to upload an image you'll see where the address was in the 1940's). Maybe not a lot of help.
Hope you'll find the girl (or rather old woman). Good luck!

Hilsen Gisle.

Giz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn on Mon 19 Oct 2009 - 22:18

Hello!
As Kurt says, she might have changed her name if she married. As for phonebooks from 1945 it might work, but private phones were not that common.

There was a Bjørg Enger, born 6.12-1928, who died 20.04-1997 in Oslo, but it might be someoone else. She would have been more than 13 or 14 in 45. There were no US Troops in Norway during WW2, so I guess you mean 45-46?

B.

Bjørn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:18

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top