Oberst Schintler - Akershus Fort

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oberst Schintler - Akershus Fort

Post  Bob Pearson on Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 23:45

Oberst H P Schnitler signed the surrender of Oslo after contacting the Norwegian government at Hamar. Can anyone confirm the full christian name of Oberst Schnitler - i.e. what do the letters H & P stand for and was the actual surrender signed in Akershus Fort?

Many thanks in advance

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oberst Schintler - Akershus Fort

Post  AltforNorge on Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 0:56

It must be Hans Petter Schnitler. Also the full name is an old officer/clergy name

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

H P Schnitler

Post  kaii on Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 16:40

I would render a guess that his name was Hans Peter Schnitler, based on the traditional names in the Schnitler family through the centuries before. Another, more remote possibility, based on family name history, would be Herman Peter Schnitler. Although both names appear in the family history, I do believe Hans Peter is by far the more common combination.

I am not sure whether a formal document regarding the surrender of Oslo as such was in fact ever signed, at least I have never seen such a document. Most likely there will have been a meeting between Col. Schnitler and Chief of Police, Welhaven, at police HQ and then a declaration of the surrender, followed by meetings with the German military commanders to agree details for policing of the city etc, without formalising the actual surrender of Oslo itself in a written document.

If there was a formal document signed, I would also be very interested to see it!

A bit beside what you asked, but maybe interesting as background info;
Schnitler is a traditional military/clergy family tracing their roots in the Norwegian army (and church) back to the early 1700's, through Peter Schnitler who was brought to Norway as an officer in trondhjemske Infanterirregiment (although one can argue that at this time the army was really Danish, and not Norwegian...). Originally I believe the family came from north Germany and establihed themselves in Copenhagen. Before Peter Schnitler was brought to Norway as officer in 1707-1710 or so and was, amongst other things, involved in defining the borders to Finland/sweden up in the North of Norway. Peter Schnitler married the daughter of the commanding officer of the regiment and together they had a lot of children (about 15 I think) and especially two of his sons, one of which was called Hans Peter Schnitler, can be said to be the "founding fathers" of the Schnitler clan in Norway today. Traditionally, sons in the family became either priests or officers.
Correct me if I am wrong, this is based on a vague mamory of reading the family history at some stage long ago :-).

kaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge on Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 19:11

I think you are absolutely right Kaii.

The Danish king recruitet his officers from Preussia or other German countries. This was to avoid appointing Danish nobilities as officers and by doing so, not establishing another power base for the nobility.

Last edited by AltforNorge on Tue 16 Mar 2010 - 0:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : A crucial !"not" included)

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oberst Schnitler

Post  Bob Pearson on Mon 15 Mar 2010 - 21:13

Many thanks to Kaii and Alt for Norge for their most informative and helpful replies. It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:48

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top