Spoils of War

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spoils of War

Post  AltforNorge on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 0:24

From the German "Tagesberichte"

7. may

Captured equipment in the area Andalnses – Aalesund:
460 british AT-rifles 12,9mm (brandnew), 4 norw.AA-guns with control-equipment, 4 norw. 7,5cm guns, 40 brit. AA-guns 4cm and 7,6cm (just 4 of them operational), 1 brit. AT-gun, 25 U.S. aircraft machineguns (packed), 60 norw. Gr.Wf., 2 bit. 10,5cm guns, 5300 norw. rifles, 200 norw. pistols, 16000 norw. handgrenades, 3500 bajonets, 250 norw. l.M.G., 60 norw.s.M.G., 1 ammo-train with 45 waggons 300t (not counted), 4 million rounds rifle ammo, 10000 pistol rounds, 20000 brit. rifle rounds, 10500 rounds norw. 10,5cm, 800kg explosives, 5000 rounds AT-rifles, 1000 Gr.Wf. rounds, 5 Norton motorcycles

Notice 16 000 "Norwegian" hangrenades. The Norwegian Army stopped a ship bound for Finnland, Full of munitions. (Hence also the 25 U S aricraft machineguns)They did nothing more. The handgrenades would have been of good use in Gudbrandsdalen, but they considered it "stealing"

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spoils of War

Post  Admin on Mon 19 Apr 2010 - 16:59

These numbers is peanuts consider to what the Germans left behind in Norway in 1945. Most was destroyed by our british saviours to force us to buy the stockpiles of surplus british military equipement, far inferiour to the german equipment and tools ( that also matched the norwegian metric system.)
This was happening in such large scale that the Norwegians regarded it as 100% leagal to steal stuff from the british storehouses around in Norway. (Stuff that was stolen was german bikes, wheel barrows, tools, etc. Stuff that was to be ditched in the sea or dug down. Bicycles was run over by lorries before they where thrown away, so that the norwegians could not use them.)
Shocked

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nuav.rforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Johan F. on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 12:53

Can corroborate that!

My late grandfather served for about a year right after the war, and was present at Gardermoen in the summer of 1945.

Motorcycles and a lot of other equipment was lined up on the airstrip, before being run over by a German tank..
Amongst this equipment was advanced firecontrol systems for AAA, rangefinders etc. This was better than what Norway posessed, and in much greater numbers.

My grandfather, who was an officer in the Norwegian FlaK arm in 1938-40 and 45-46, begged the Brits to let them have just a few systems.
This was arrogantly refused with the words: "Can`t have you buying spare parts from the Germans, you know!".

He says they were all literally in tears about it...

Johan F.

Johan F.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ervold on Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 23:15

Johan F. wrote:Can corroborate that!

My late grandfather served for about a year right after the war, and was present at Gardermoen in the summer of 1945.

Motorcycles and a lot of other equipment was lined up on the airstrip, before being run over by a German tank..
Amongst this equipment was advanced firecontrol systems for AAA, rangefinders etc. This was better than what Norway posessed, and in much greater numbers.

My grandfather, who was an officer in the Norwegian FlaK arm in 1938-40 and 45-46, begged the Brits to let them have just a few systems.
This was arrogantly refused with the words: "Can`t have you buying spare parts from the Germans, you know!".

He says they were all literally in tears about it...

Årsaken er et spesielt dokument "Apostle, Control Memorandum No 8/1 Control and Disposal of Enemy War Materiel" som ga direktiv for avvæpning, kontroll og disponering av de tyske styrker samt disponering av tysk krigsmateriell. Her het det at alt ex-tysk krigsmateriell skulle ødelegges. Norge var under Britisk overherredømme og et hovedmotiv var at allierte stormakter ønsket å hindre at den tyske krigsindustri reiste seg ved at det oppstod behov i forbindelse med bruk av tyskprodusert materiell. Alt materiell stod under alliert kommando og kontroll. Egen industri var nok også i tankene. 27 september 45 ble ødeleggelsene tatt opp i stortinget av forsvarsministr Oscar Torp, som orienterte om at utstyr som kunne nyttes sivilt skulle bli frigitt, slikt som klær, mat og sko. Landet ble inndelt i 5 soner ansvarlig for ødeleggelse av i første rekke materiell som kunne være til fare for egne tropper og sivilbefolkningen. Sjefen for ALFN general Sir Andrew Thorne utstedte i alt 19 Disposal Instructions for ex-tysk krigsmateriell til sonekommandørene. Vi var ennå ikke herre i eget hus.

Mvh
ervold

Johan F.

ervold

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut on Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 22:08

This is really interesting. It does seem mean that the British could not at least give the bicycles and tools to the civilian population for their immediate needs.

norwaynut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 17:22

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top