Beisfjord Camp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beisfjord Camp

Post  Rogernot on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 20:48

Dear members,

do you have any informations with references or sources concerning this camp.
For me the period is particularly interesting between summer and autumn 1942. (mainly Yugoslav prisoners)
It was burnt down in October 1942.

Thanks in advance

Roger

*Now it´s the correct name, sorry

Last edited by Rogernot on Thu 9 Dec 2010 - 23:46; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Beisfjord not Beiersfjord)

Rogernot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beisfjord-camp for Yugoslav prisoners

Post  rus on Thu 16 Dec 2010 - 14:52

Hello Roger
The camp for Yugoslav prisoners are in detail described in the book "Beisfjordtragedien", by Ljubo Mladenovic. From 1988. But only in norwegian and serbo-croatian languages. Then you can also ask me for specific questions, because I work at Narviksenteret, (12 km from Beisfjord) and my work are all pow in Northern part of Norway. We have much information about the Yugoslavs, so I might help. Then there is also a very rare document-collection at National Archives in Oslo, Riksarkivet from the camp. Ca. 85 pages with correspondance from June-October 1942. There we also have Serbian witnesses giving their testimony. By the way, only 3 barracks for the sick were burnt in July (with people inside).
Michael

rus

View user profile http://www.sovjetiske-krigsfanger.no

Back to top Go down

Re: Beisfjord Camp

Post  Rogernot on Sun 19 Dec 2010 - 2:19

Hello Michael,

thanks for your informations. You wrote only 3 barracks for the sick were burnt in July, but can you explain the photos of October 1942 to me, which i have posted in this german forum? I´m a little bit confused.

http://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=20475

Translation: because of typhus fever burnt down (oct. 1942)

Roger

Rogernot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beisfjord-camp

Post  rus on Sun 19 Dec 2010 - 21:17

Hello
According to my documents and the book by Ljubo Mladenovic, it was the evening and night of 16/17 July 1942 the two or three barracks were burnt down and 287 prisoners were killed. Some of them were burnt inside the barracks. It was said by some German and Norwegian doctors that it could be typhus (tyfoidfever). But there is no evidence to that presumption. It was Terboven who ordered the sick prisoners killed. The other 588 prisoners were taken out of the camp while the other were killed and when they came back 25 of August, the two or three barracks for the sick were burnt down. Norwegians who lived nearby took photos of the burning barracks, I have those and they show barracks burning, but at night. Yours are earlier photos, when the barracks were set on fire. But of course, I am also open that some barracks could have been burnt in October. 21 of October 42 was f inst the day when the German Pol. kp and the Norwegian hird-guards left Beisfjord. They came to Osen prisoners camp more south in the county of Nordland. After that, Wehrmacht and Soviet pow came to the camp and new tents were built on the same spot as the burnt-down barracks. I have photos that shows the camp later in 1945. Now I am searching the documents from Häftlingslager I June-Oct. 42 for the names that you mentioned in forum-der-Wehrmacht. I have only 18 names of the ca. 157 who were there. This is interesting and we are working on a project right now on the Yugoslav prisoners in Norway. So this came right on spot for me. We know that at least 7 of these Germans and were tried for court in Belgrade in 1946 and got death penalty. The Pol. kp. were moved from the guarding of the prisoners after April 1943.
Michael

rus

Back to top Go down

SS-men and Orpo

Post  rus on Tue 21 Dec 2010 - 15:18

Hello Roger
I was a little hasty to point out the germans sentenced for this war crime, by shooting and burning prisoners in the barracks 16th of July 1942.

I must divide between the SS leading the camp and the Orpo-guards. Now I have checked my sources and the War Crimes Commission sentenced 41, mostly wachtmeister and some higher ranks from the Orpo-kp, but only captured two. I cannot see that they got any punishment. There were 157 men from the Orpo-kp in September 1942 in Beisfjord.

There were at least 20 from SS leading the camp and some 10 more in different duties. Of those 20 SS-men, 9 were taken by the War Crimes Commission and 7 we for sure know were shot in Belgrade in 1947.

M.

rus

Back to top Go down

Sentenced Orpo Guards

Post  Rogernot on Wed 22 Dec 2010 - 22:29

Hello Michael,

thank you very much for your informations.
Is there a possibility to see the names of the sentenced guards of the Orpo-kp?

Roger

Rogernot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sentenced Orpo guards

Post  rus on Thu 23 Dec 2010 - 14:29

Hello Roger. Yes, it is possible, if you also scan the photos to me. Remember that these guards are only sentenced, but not proven guilty. I also wonder how many of those 157 guards of the 1 kp of 256 Pol btl that survived the war? I know that they were sent to the Ostfront as III./Pol.Rgt.26, but how many died there?
M.

rus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rogernot on Fri 7 Jan 2011 - 15:28

Hello Michael,

sorry for not answering for such a long time.

I understood you correctly: You want me to scan the foots for you separately and in return you send me the names of the sentenced guards of the Orpo-kp?
Ok, which resolution do you need and what for do you need the fotos?

lg Gernot

Rogernot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beisfjord camp

Post  rus on Fri 7 Jan 2011 - 21:34

Hello

Very good. Yes, I can send the names, both from War Crimes Commission and from a transport list of prisoners in July 42 with the grade to all guards in the transport.

If you could send those pictures scanned single, in tif. format. 600 dpi and say, size ca 18 x 24. At this hour, I will only look for details and have them in the archive as they are important. Later one or two may come in a historical book. But if you will not publish them, you can say that and I will not do it. I am still open to the suggestion that they could be from October. Are there any information on the back of the photos?

You saw my e-mail? mi-sto@online.no

Mike

rus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top