MTB 631

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MTB 631

Post  Cutstone on Wed 4 May 2011 - 23:59

During the night between the 14. and 15. of March 1943 the norwegian MTB's 631 and 619 attac three steamships anchored in the bay at Florø. They torpedo and sink the SS "Optima", fires two other torpedoes but misses the other ships. They then try to escape via the shortest way to the North Sea, south of Nøstholmen. In the wake of, and just a little to the side of 619, 631 struck a reef and got stuck. They tried to signal 619 to stop, but at first she did not notice the light signals. Since it was not possible to get the boat of the reef the order was give to abandon ship. Finally 619 had noticed that something was wrong and returned. Telegraphist Mc. Bride onboard 631 had by then already thrown the C.B. box with the secret files overboard, and preperations were made to destroy the ship. This was not succesfull and further attempts by the onboard commandoes led by Daniel Rommetvedt, using their handguns and ships own guns did not work either. Everybody got onboard 619 and left for Lerwick.
The foundered 631 was soon dicovered by the germans. Onboard they actually found the ships log!!, numerous charts and even some handguns. This, even though it was stated during the Board of Inquiry that all papers were burnt....
MTB 631 got a temporary repair in Florø before it was towed to Bergen during 24. and 25. March, where it was put in a floating dock, repaired and put in to german service under the name S631 - Schnellboote 631.
Now, here is my question. Does anyone know S631 destiny? What happened to her?

Cutstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MTB 631

Post  NorskBrit on Fri 22 Jun 2012 - 1:15

I would really like to know too. Am researching this because my maternal grandfather (technically step grandfather) Erling Matland was the commander of MTB 631.
My natural maternal grandfather was Jacob Boerresen who commanded MTB 625 amongst others. It's complicated.

NorskBrit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MTB-631

Post  Cutstone on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 22:02

Hi
I might have some information of interest to you Brit. Please contact me on atle@skarsten.no
Sincerely.
Atle Skarsten

Cutstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MTB 631

Post  Bob Pearson on Thu 28 Jun 2012 - 21:10

NorskBrit,

I am currently looking at MTB ops in Norway and in particular 625, amongst some others. Please mail me at bakerstreetrebel@yahoo.co.uk for further details.

Kind regards

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MTB 631

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:13

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum