Albert Viljam Hagelin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Albert Viljam Hagelin

Post  Bob Pearson on Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 18:55

The following is an unusual request as i am straying somewhat from my comfort zone - but here goes:

Does anyone know if A J Hagelin was Jewish by religion; was his life ever in danger from assassination attempts and was he popular amongst the NS?

Appreciate any comments

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Albert Viljam Hagelin

Post  kaii on Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 22:24

Hi Bob, I must admit I (and probably most historians) know little about Hagelin - he is a mysterious character, turning up in Oslo after 40 years abroad (most of the time in Germany) where he had built successful businesses.

We do know that his mother was of Jewish heritage, and came from a Danish Jewish family. It has been speculate that also his father was of Jewish background, mainly on the basis that 1. he was a Goldsmith in third generation, a profession often held by Jews, and 2. people from jewish families tended (and still tend) to marry other Jews. However, I have not seen any conclusive evidence that Albert Hagelin himself held Jewish faith.

Have never heard that Hagelin was the target of assasination attempts, but that does not rule out that he may have been, of course.

I am not sure how popular Hagelin was in NS, I know he had a following among those that advocated a formal peace agreement with Germany so that the occupation could end and Norway could start to rebuild as an ally of Germany. To this effect he put considerable pressure on Quisling, and I believe he drew support from a number of businessmen at least.

Not much help, I suppose, but that's all I have I am afraid.

Kai

kaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hagelin

Post  Bob Pearson on Sat 18 Jun 2011 - 22:45

Hi Kaii,

Actually, your answer is superb and answers another question that has just arisen whilst reading some National Archive papers, that of the business aspect. I have the KV file on an Astrid Dollis who appears at first glance to be a collaborator with the Germans and employs a chap called Axel Cappelen - later arrested in the UK. It's clear in the papers that Dollis is not fond of Hagelin and there is a reference that she would like to see him taken out, but of course this never happens. However, Dollis herself becomes the target for a Norwegian assassination group - Bittern 4 - which fails disastrously.

The papers state that Hagelin is a Jew, but does not mention if he active with his religion, although mentions his mother as being a Jew.

The file on Dollis large and it is taking a while to read and work out what is happening, but I can see that Dollis appears to be a person who 'bats for the likeliest winner' and that money and power are her favoured allys.

More reading is in order, but looking forward it.

Thanks again for your input - it's much appreciated

Mvh

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn on Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 22:23

Hello!
The answer given by Kaii was very good indeed. As a good expert on Norway, Bob, you might know a lot aleady?

Hagelin was a son of a danish mother, and a swedish father., born in Bergen. About any Jewish rconnections, I do not know too much at all. I have never heard this before.

He was, as you Bob know, rather unknown to the NS environement in Norway before 1940, then again - he was at that time living in Germany and had his connections there, as it is said. Probably involved around the German-Norwegian NS pre-war clicque that ipso facto did excist in Germany in the 30´s.

He was expelled from NS in 1944, after a court meeting. That must be read as a NS Party Court, and he was charged with different kinds of fraud.

Hagelin surely was a an interesting man. who played a large role in the early years of the occupation. It could surely look as if he indeed could deal with the Germans at a time when no others were able to do so. Quisling included. Even during the war, Hagelin took a role that was untolerable to the Germans, and larglely unknown to most others.

B

Bjørn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kaii on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 18:15

I suppose it could be a discussion about what a "jew" is - is it someone actively adhering to the jewish faith, or would someone born by jewish parents, but not religous, also be a "jew"? I know what the nazi's would say, so I would think Hagelin in any case would be careful about flaunting his mother's lineage...

Can't say I know too much about Astrid Dollis (Astrid Døvle) unfortunately. I do know her father, Olav Døvle, was part of a "brotherhood" or club consisting of Norwegian business men, and with the purpose of preventing a communist revolution in Norway - not unlike the later "Lien-Platou" group etc.

I think she was actively trying to replace the Quisling government with a government of business men, and in that sense her initiative was in competition to Hagelin's efforts to get Quisling to sign a formal peace agreement with Germany to end the occupation.

I believe she eventually married in Sweden, and was captured there and sentenced to prison for espionage?

Do keep us updated on any findings, it is an interesting area and not very well researched so far!

Kai

kaii

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hagelin

Post  Bob Pearson on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 19:05

Hei Kaii,

Thanks again for your input. What you have written is very similar to the impression I get from the the Dollis files - that she wanted to take over or at least had aspirations to. Clearly, her husband was unhappy with her and what she was doing and tried hard to distance himself from her. Norwegian intelligence was working closely with her - although she doesn't appear to be aware of this - and I would hazard that this is why she appeared on a list to be 'removed' by the men of Op Bittern. The statements i have seen from her 'co-conspirator', Axel Cappelen, are quite difficult to assess, but it might be easier once i have seen Cappelen's file at the TNA.

The Jewish question is a difficult one to answer, but as you say the Germans would have had definite views on this. I will write it up in the neutral form and just state what has been written in the file.

BTW the two Dollis files are:

KV2/553 & KV2/554 - both are very large and have been written up by MI6 officers.

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hagelin

Post  Bob Pearson on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 19:34

Dear Bjorn & Kaii,

If you send me your mailing addresses I will copy the files and post on to you.

Mvh

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn on Mon 20 Jun 2011 - 21:28

Hello!
I agree indeed,in kaiis posting and am shameful to admit he is 100% correct - Judaism, which in fact is a religion and not a racial question at all.

Then again, Hagelin was, and still is a mystery in this country, which has published more about WW2 than any other - remembering there are less than 5 millions of us.

B

Bjørn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:48

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top