Relics near Melkeplassen, Bergen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Relics near Melkeplassen, Bergen

Post  Skygge on Mon 7 May 2012 - 9:28

Hei

Some years ago i stumbled upon a personal website from a guy living in Melkeplassen. It was 5-6 years ag and this person the years before had been digging around the area. Melkeplassen had still some rubble /concrete dumps at this time and he found and posted pics of Stalheim helmets, german/NS porcelain and other interesting stuff. melkeplassen (as well as Solheim, for instance) where crowded with Germans, so the whole surroundings are litterally built upon relics.

The thing is: anybody know this website or know the guy? I can't find anything again.

Thx!

Skygge

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/skygge/

Back to top Go down

Re: Relics near Melkeplassen, Bergen

Post  Admin on Wed 9 May 2012 - 19:45

It was probably me, the webmaster of Nuav.
You can find the article here: http://www.nuav.net/ubootflotilla.html
Kind wishes,
Kurt Monsen

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nuav.rforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Skygge on Wed 9 May 2012 - 20:43

Ja det var det ! Takk !

Is it still things to find there? What about the forests of Løvstakken close to Melkeplassen?
I don't remember if I was already in Norway when i contacted you...

I guess you know also the Lancaster wrecj in Kvarven? In September som guys found the death tag of the pilot, depsite the area being empty for everything beside some engine parts. The the forest is dense and wet, maybe sweeping the area with a detector would give results.

When you speaks about the helmet paradise it must bee indeed very exciting ! Like knowing that hundred or thousands of schmeissers are still around in cellar or crates in Bergen.

Anyways, if you're up for some diggin' around Bergen and want company throw me a mail. I don't have a detektor, low on cash, but one day, maybe. When I have one my plan is to sweep around byfjellene / Borga for some stuff/coins XIXth century and before.

Skygge

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed 9 May 2012 - 21:51

Well, it is quite hopeless going around with a metal detector around the crash site at Kvaren. There is too much metal parts spread around. You would have to dig for years if you react to each "beep".
I have seen that some have tried to turn the place up-side-down lately with showels and it looks like a mess up there and most of the debris is removed from the site. I myself managed to salvage a part of the base of a propeller blade from a small brook nearby many years ago. It was riddeled with production stamps and numbers. I also found parts of parachutes and buttons, but nothing much else of interest. (If you do not count live .303 bullets)

I would guess that Løvstakken does not contain much of interest. The main "cleanout" happened inside the old u-boat camp. The Brits and Norwegians did not know where to get rid of all the german stuff that filled the camp and dug it down as they always did.
Someone told me that military equipement, ammo and dangerous stuff was buried with barbed wire on top. This prevented kids from digging down to the "goodies"

In the 50's the police had to stand guard here at the old camp, because during construction work, they found more than 50 000 morphine ampulles, -a leftover from the Feldlazarett/dentist. It shows that drug addicts existed even back then!

Further down the road, when they demolished the camps "Baracke für kraftfahrer", one of the guys demolishing the building found a good naval m-40 single decal helmet. Unfortunally for me, he insisted on keeping it. :-(

Btw, still finding stuff in my garden, like coins, pebbled buttons (German) and so on. Each spring I find stuff that the stone cold winter soil has forced up the ground.

Much more is to be found up here, but it would take machines to get to the goodies, at least on the spots where I would recon they have buried more stuff.

Kurt

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Skygge on Wed 9 May 2012 - 22:01

What about Kråkenes (the first that come to my mind right now) and other places where Germans stayed or had traffick and so on? The forests near the batteries in Olvisk, Fantoft? Many potential places actually. Even Nordnesparken if somebody manages to find out where the light AA was.

Kvarven... in 2007 i found the site shown on Flyvrak.com. The year after i found similar engine parts a bit further but nothing more. Not much details on this crash about when it was crapped, it it really crashed at this spot, etc. Digging like a pig is plundering and there is always the risk to end up finding limbs or bones.

Could you update your page with your new finds? Many one day a .88 will pop up in the backyard albino

Skygge

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu 10 May 2012 - 2:13

I know from experience, that the site have had to contain barracks, lots of barracks, with so much rubbish that they found no other suitable way to get rid of it than to bury it.
If it is too close to the sea, they usually burned the rubbish at the shores or dumped it at sea!
In the 80's I searched around smaller flak sites at remote sites in Finnmark where few people has been since the war, and found absolutely nothing, and I have not heard of anyone being very sucessfull finding lots of stuff around smaller sites.
Tellevik Kystfort is perhaps an exeption, but they used diggers and heavy equipement to uncover bunkers, etc.

I think it should be possible to find stuff at Kvarven, Fantoft was totally dug up during the construction of Fantoft Studentby and the masses was transported away. Olsvik might be a site, but I doubt it since the typical dumping places is now private property and peoples back yard.

My best tip is just to keep a good lookout on the ground wherever you are. I'm proud to say I discovered a site with lots of medieval stuff right here in Bergen! It was masses removed from Bryggen when they built the SAS hotel and museum. This mass was moved to several places in Bergen, one being under the Nye Nygårdsbro where I found lots of cool stuff while waiting for my wife to pick me up after work. It was of course a mistake as this mass was ordered by UIB to be transported to Rådalen and destructed to avoid false find like the one I did. (False find, because the artifacts was found in masses moved from the original site)
I found keys, combs, shoes and stone/bone/wooden tools made by early settlers in Bergen around year 1000-1100 AD. Most handed over to the museum, of course, but I got to keep a lot of stuff, so I am one of very few with a nice collection of original early medieval stuff from Bergen.

Not ww2 related, but it shows that treasures can appear on the most unusual places. :-)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Skygge on Thu 10 May 2012 - 18:39

Nothing was dug up between Nattland and Fantoft and some trees are still barbwired, i also found "sløyfer", typical german ones used with barbwire. I'm sure they dumped some stuff rom the battery in this forest. I doubt Studentbyen Fantoft disturbed much of that, but yes indeed studentbyen Nattland did.

I Olsvik between the main road and the battery there is a LOT of things. I found a 10.5 shellcase and some very heavy / dense pieces of metal, might have been gun parts. Lot of rubbish too, heavy thing you just wonder how it ended up there.

There is of course Fjell festning but it's a lot to cover.

What I would do if i had a detector, as said, would be old "roads", places with people, fergeleir, etc. i would be interested to check Otta and the place where the Skottetoget got wacked. Also the dorest near fossen bratte, i'm sure nobody has been there after the war. They shot a lot there and retreated. Might be some stuff left. Søfteland with his heavy network too.
In Østlandet just a few hundred meters from the road some guys found heavy machine gun parts, etc.

I'm dreaming about finding stuff on Ulriken since i read this article about the guys who found a fake (a "real-old-fake") coin in Bjørndalen some years ago. And don't forget the money of Ole Høiland. WHERE is it ?

Now I want to see what you found ! Smile )

Skygge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 20:40

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top