Popular cameras/radios under the second world war in Norway?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Popular cameras/radios under the second world war in Norway?

Post  lunina on Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 21:54

Hey. I hope someone can help me with this.

There's a lot of pictures taken during the WW2 and I am wondering if it was normal for families to have cameras to take pictures? If so, what kind of cameras? What did they look like? I can't seem to find any information about what was popular during the war. I am thinking about Norway.

And what did their radios look like?

Norsk: Hvilke fotoapparater var populære under krigen? Var det vanlig at man hadde kameraer? Hvordan så de ut? Hvilke merke var de?

På forhånd tusen takk for hjelpen:)

lunina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Popular cameras/radios under the second world war in Norway?

Post  Admin on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 15:17

The Norwegians was usually familiar with "Brownie", a boxy Kodak camera where the viewfinder was on top. The quality was ok, if you found out how to adjust the distance.
The film and later developement of it, was very expensive so the camera was only used at very special occations.
Of course some Norwegians also had Leicas, Contax and other top models, but I think the old box above was the camera found in "each home".

During the 5 years the war lasted in Norway, the germans took millions of pictures, with prime equipment, documenting every aspect of life and nature in Norway. They also was allowed to take pictures where Norwegians would be arrested for the same thing. (In any case, Norwegians taking pictures of harbours, ships, convoys, aircrafts, etc would certainly attract gestapos interest.)

Reagarding radios; all radios was collected on German orders and stored in big warehouses. Owning a radio was equal to a ticket to a concentration camp or at least interrigation by the Gestapo.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nuav.rforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Radios ...

Post  Magnum on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 17:59

Hi!
Agree with Admin, owning a radio was equal to a ticket to a concentration camp or at least interrigation by the Gestapo but ... many Norwegians heard daily on war news, etc. but then with simple receiver that they themselves built.
I do not know the name in English, but in Swedish Smile , "Kristallmottagare".
/Magnum

Magnum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 19:00

Perhaps "Kristallmottagare" can be translated into Crystal tuners/receivers? Home built radios inspired from pre-war technical magazines using a natural crystal to tune in on London.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 19:08

I can also ad that the only ones allowed to have radios during the war, was of course the germans themselves, but also members of the norwegian party "Nasjonal Samling". The radios had to be registered, though.
Radios where usually of very high quality with a big cabinet, big search dial in front and heaps of radiotubes inside. They where hard to hide because of this. Shortly after the war, the transistor changed the radios for ever.
I know a couple of brands like Tandberg and Radionette that probably was produced before the war.

btw, A radio was very, very expensive those days. I would guess it is equal to at least 10 000-20 000 NOK today. In adittion, you have to buy a sticker to put on the back of the set, costing approx 10-20 NOK, or simmilar to 1000 NOK today. But even the poorest seem to have a set.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 23:31

Regarding radioes:

When a radio was sold from a shop, it was reported to the Norwegian Broadcasting Company for taxating purpose. The system had an in-built flaw. When someone bougth a new radio, it did not change the tax, and therefore it was not registered that the person had two radioes. Maybe the old one did not work, but it was "good enough" to be delivered to the authorities.

The storehouses was in every village, Persons brake into the storehouses and stole one part from one radioe, one part from another and so on, and voila! They had a functioning radio.

Crystal recievers were good enough to tune in to local transmitters in Norway, but not good enough to recieve broadcasting from London.

In the 193-ies, Germany built "Volksemphenger" (The ordinary peoples receiver) Cheap, for that time small radioes, for the broader public. This also happened in Norway. The Norwegian Broadcasting Company instigated production of such in Norway. "Folkemottakeren" (The ordinary peoples receiver), [Same name in Germany and Norway]so newer radioes was very, very small, compared with the huge cabinettes from early 1930.
AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 23:55

The German "Volksemphanger" had one big flaw. It accepted only nearby radio signals (Shortwave, like FM?), so no Germans could listen in on English or Soviet channels.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge on Tue 12 Jun 2012 - 0:02

The reason for the Norwegian wireless being able to receive almost any station at sevrald waves, may have been due to few hours of Norwegian broadcasting during the day. "A sales trick?"
AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top