Kreyberg Rations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kreyberg Rations

Post  Bob Pearson on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 22:05

Whilst researching a wartime Norwegian op, I came across a report on their equipment used by the two men concerned. One aspect of the report mentions Kreyberg Rations and their usefulness in the field. The report concludes that the food was..."very good, and responsible for keeping up morale, even during the worst trials that befell us. The only thing lacking was a small ration of fish."

Despite researching the name I can find nothing on the term Kreyberg Rations. There is an American ration system, part of which one of them is termed as 'K Rations'. This was invented by Ancel Keys - hence the use of the term, 'K'. Other rations were termed 'A', 'B' and 'C'.

Does anyone know why the Norwegian ration was termed as Kreyberg and what did it consist of?

Many thanks

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kreyberg

Post  Bob Pearson on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 22:52

In reply to my own post - I have just found out that the inventor could be Professor Leiv Kreyberg of Oslo University. Does anyone know of his wartime work in relation to rations? I am aware that he reorganised the medical side of the Norwegian military during WW2 so his involvement with food and nutrition would be quite logical.

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kreyberg Rations

Post  Admin on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 23:56

Not really related, but I know that Norway was early out measuring energy and calories in meals and they came up with "Oslo Frokost" (Oslo Breakfast) which every kid in school got from the 1930's, well into the 50-60.
Here is a snip from Wikipedia, unfortunally in Norwegian only:

Oslofrokosten ble innført i skoleåret 1929-1930 ved noen skoler og i 1932 ble den innført ved alle skoler. Den ble servert tre kvarter før skolestart slik at barna hadde femten minutter til lek før første time. Fra 1935 fikk alle elever som ønsket det frokost. Frokosten var satt sammen av professor dr. med. Carl Schiøtz ut fra vitenskapelige kriterier for næringsrik mat med mye vitaminer og mineraler. Menyen besto av:

1/3- 1/2 liter melk
To små kneippkavringer[1] eller to knekkebrød med margarin og mysost
Kneippbrød (grov type) med margarin og mysost
Et halvt eple eller en halv appelsin – eller 100 gram gulrot eller kålrot
En teskje tran i måneden med bokstaven r (vintermånedene)

Frokosten serveres ikke på skolene lenger.

Now, this awarness of food might have been transferred into ration measures during the war.
Kurt

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://nuav.rforum.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 18:39

Hi Bob
Kreyberg is a well known name in connection with Norway and WWII, especially in connection with the repatriation of soviet prisoners.
It's correct that he invented the "Kreybergrasjonen". He was a doctor and did much for healthconditions onboard norwegian ships and among soldiers, both norwegian and allied.
Read more about him here:
http://snl.no/.nbl_biografi/Leiv_Kreyberg/utdypning
Especially this:
"1942–43 var Kreyberg i London som hygieniker hos sanitetssjefen. Her utviklet han en stridsrasjon, “Kreybergrasjonen”, som viste seg å egne seg meget godt under feltforhold. Dessuten organiserte han hygieniske enheter til bruk ved krigshandlinger i Norge. Slike ble brukt i Finnmark 1944–45 og viste seg å være så velegnede at de ble modell for senere oppsetting av hygieniske standardlaboratorier."

He has published numerous books.
http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Leiv+Kreyberg%22
Among them, and of interest to us are:
"Kast ikke kortene" and "Frigjøringen av de allierte krigsfanger i Nordland 1945"

I do have a film made by him about the liberation and repatriation of the prisoners in Bodø and Nordland.
Next time you're in Stavanger, I'll show it to you Wink
Atle

Cutstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kreyberg Rations

Post  Bob Pearson on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 19:36

Hi Atle,

Thanks for the information - top stuff and certainly my man. I can now reference him with confidence.

Cheers, mate,

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kreyberg - Admin

Post  Bob Pearson on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 19:39

Thanks to Admin for the post - very interesting. Obviously, Professor Kreyberg was quite a man and did a lot for the nutrition of Norwegians.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 21:04

He has written a book with the name freely translated to English: By orders, without orders and against orders. I mean to remember that he was appointed "Fylkeslege i de befridde områder i Finmark" autoumn 44. General surgeon for the liberated areas in Finnmark.

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kreyberg - Admin

Post  Bob Pearson on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 21:13

I just checked out Abebooks and whilst there are some English text books by Prof Kreyberg there are not any unfortunately which feature orders etc. Will check further.

Thanks Alt for Norge

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 20:38

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top