Malcolm Munthe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Malcolm Munthe

Post  Oyvind on Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 16:53

Malcolm Munthe (SIS/SOE) stayed in the Stavanger area at the outbreak of German occupation of Norway. Supposedly he succeeded in hiring individuals as agents for SIS/SOE locally. Has anyone clues of who "signed up"?

Oyvind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Munthe

Post  Bob Pearson on Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 21:20

Hi Oyvind,

I have always been very interested in Malcolm Munthe and who he recruited. I am fairly certain that one of his earliest recruits was Johan Ingebrigt Rognes - aka John Rognes of the Rognes ('R') Organisation. The National Archives file, HS 2/228 supports this and would be a very good place to start. This is simply one of the best files around on Rognes and others and would assist you greatly with your research.

Munthe, in turn, appears to have been recruited by Sir Charles Hambro. I am not sure, but possibly Oluf Reed Olsen was also one of Munthe's first recruits. I could be wrong, though.

Munthe is notoriously difficult to find out much about. His book, 'How Sweet is War' makes for an interesting read, but for me there are more questions than answers. I wrote to his estate a while back, but never received an answer. I then found out that the family does not reply to queries.

To find out more about Munthe it might be best to research the people and events that surrounded Munthe, particularly if you are aiming to visit the TNA at Kew. Check out Andrew Croft's superb book, 'A Talent for Adventure' (1991) for a more rounded story on Munthe.

Please email me at bakerstreetrebel@yahoo.co.uk if I can be of further help.

Kind regards

Bob
Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Munthe

Post  Cutstone on Thu 25 Oct 2012 - 21:07

Like Bob writes Munthe is a very mysterious gentleman. I have looked a bit into his time in Rogaland, and that is not an easy task Wink
There is a book written, that also covers this period and discusses Munthe statements in his book Sweet is war - Trygve Wyllers: Aprildagene 1940 (http://www.antikvariat.net/ANA182648.cgi)
Wyller did even communicated with Munthe without getting any smarter Smile

When it comes to recruiting agents I would think that could have happened while he was on the run with the vice consul in Stavanger Spence and his family.
During their time as refugees they were in contact with some of the guys that eventually made up Arquebus. So that might also be a place to search.
I have the diary the daughter of Spence wrote, but (probably after advice from Munthe or the naval intelligence officer ) after a while she gave each person a "codename", one letter for each person in the text.
You could also check his son Axel Munthes book ""PÅ HEMMELIG OPPDRAG I NORGE".
Hook up with Bob, he has a lot of information about Munthe!
Atle
Cutstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Malcolm Munthe

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top