French Chasseurs Alpins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

French Chasseurs Alpins

Post  comcast on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 21:46

Can anyone tell me the following details about the French Chasseurs Alpins that fought in Norway? Where did the train before leaving for Norway? How did they get to Norway? I know about the 13th DBLE but can't find anything detailed about the Chasseurs Alpins. I read that there were three battalions.
Did they leave France via Brest as did the 13th DBLE or from another seaport? I assume they sailed to Scotland from a southern French port and joined the Convoy from Scapa Flow or Roysth. Any details would like this would help. Thanks.

comcast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

French Chasseurs

Post  Bob Pearson on Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 20:23

I recommend Geirr Haarr's two books, 'The German Invasion of Norway' (Seaforth Publishing 2009) and 'The Battle for Norway' (Seaforth 2010). Also, Henirk O. Lunde's, 'Hitler's Pre-Emptive War - The Battle for Norway 1940'. These would be useful starting points to give you an overview of their war.

At the TNA at Kew, London, a quick search revealed:- http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=chasseur+alpins&x=0&y=0&_sd=yyyy&_ed=yyyy

also

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-NWE-Norway/index.html

There is a brief mention of the 5th Battalion Scots Guards training with French Chasseurs (199th) at Chamonix in JP Riley's book, From Pole to Pole' (1989). This was March 1940. The 5th Battalion left a few days later to return to the UK.

Two other books worth a look are:

'Norway 1940' (Collins 1990) by Francois Kersaudy

'Norway 1940' (Cassell 1964)

Hope the above helps a little

Kind regards,

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: French Chasseurs Alpins

Post  Bjørn on Sun 27 Jan 2013 - 14:56

Hello!
Appearently, they first were ordered to Namsos, but the Chasseurs - at least the "27th half brigade" were sent to Harstad, by boat from Skapa Flow. it also says thet the 6th btl was sent to Sjøvegan to disembark, the 14th btl to Salangsverket, and 12th btl to Bogen. Two artillery groups (wihout equipment) to Skånland, and the divisional command to Harstad.

Source: "Operasjonene til lands i Nord Norge 1940" by gen.maj Sandvik, 1965

B

Last edited by Bjørn on Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 14:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New info)

Bjørn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut on Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 2:49

hi Comcast, welcome to the forum.
There were actually 6 battalions of Chasseur Alpins sent to Norway, split into 2 demi brigades. It was a light mountain division. One demi brigade went to the Narvik area along with the two FFL battalions and a company of tanks.
The other demi brigade of 3 battalions went to Namsos as part of the aborted plan to recapture Trondheim. They couldn't do anything when they got there as they had been sent without the bindings for their skis.
There was also a Polish brigade of 4 battalions under French command , I think they also went to Narvik.
The sources you have been pointed at all have excellent info in them and with a bit of digging you will find the titles of all the units involved. If not throw me a PM as I have all this unit info somewhere about.

norwaynut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn on Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 15:19

Hello!
These links could be of interest:

http://france1940.free.fr/oob/cefs.html
http://www.nuav.net/oobnono.html

B

Bjørn

View user profile