Birger Eriksen, Oscarsborg

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Birger Eriksen, Oscarsborg

Post  Thyrum on Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 10:11

Hei,

Vi i samlerhuset Norge har tenkt til å hedre noen norske helter fra 2 verdenskrig gjennom en serie med minnesmedaljer. En av disse heltene har vi tenkt til at skal være Birger Eriksen, mannen som var med å få sunket Blucher. Vi prøver derfor å komme i kontakt med sønnen,E(rik) A (ndreas) eriksen, men det er usikkert om han fortsatt er i livet? Er det noen her inne som har noe informasjon om sønnen? Eller evt. noe informasjon om noen andre gjenlevende familiemedlemer. Om så hadde vi satt pris på å du tok kontakt. Jeg kan også treffes på tlf 66 81 15 18

Thorbjørn Thyrum, Samlerhuset Norge

Thyrum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Birger Eriksen

Post  Bob Pearson on Sun 9 Jun 2013 - 13:58

Hei Thorbjørn,

I fully agree with your sentiments. Colonel Birger Eriksen, in my humble opinion, is a much over-looked man. The bravery of his decision to fire at the Blucher can only be described as extremely commendable in stopping the Germans from taking Oslo and allowing the Norwegian Royal Family, parliament and of course 50 tons of gold bullion, which was needed to feed the German war machine, to escape: that result is the sum of one man's decision.

I was fortunate enough to be in Oslo last week researching and mentioned Eriksen's deeds to my hosts. They also agreed further recognition is needed. Aside from his statue at Oscarsborg Fort, I am of the opinion that a striking of a commemoration medal would be significant tribute to this much under-rated man and would support your quest unreservedly.

Colonel Eriksen features in 'Redd Gullet' - Dinamo Forlag 2010, along with a graphic account of the loss of the Blucher by a German naval officer, Fregattenkapitan Erich Heymann. However, I also have an account from a Norwegian veteran - an army recruit at that time - giving some balance to the action.

Finally, many best wishes with your quest and your tribute to a great man.

Kind regards,

Bob

Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Birger Eriksen, Oscarsborg

Post  Thyrum on Mon 10 Jun 2013 - 12:01

Thanks for your reply Bob. I shall take a look at the 'redd gullet' book you suggest.

Best-

Thorbjørn

Thyrum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut on Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 15:35

I was telling my son about Erikson only last weekend! And how important his actions were.

norwaynut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Birger Eriksen

Post  Bob Pearson on Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 22:36

Kjære Thorbjørn,

I believe that Norges Bank are starting to prepare for a major commemoration of the history of the Bank and of course if it wasn't for Eriksen then matters concerning the state bullion would have been different. I have a contact name for you at the bank who is dealing with this directly. Please contact me offline for further details if you want to take it further.

Kind regards

Bob
Bob Pearson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top