What actually took place????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What actually took place????

Post  Tore on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 1:24

I know thath this have been discussed on the old foum. But I still have some questions. When Ruge surrended - why was he not treated under the military laws? What have I missed? When was Norwegian law changed? Who did that? When was it put into action?

Tore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ruge

Post  AltforNorge on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 15:00

I miss to see your point. From the Government Ruge was instructed to surrender and to negotiate a peace settlement regarding the Norwegian troops still present in Norway. He tried to hold out some days to be able to let the troops not in the frontline to demobilze in case the Germans would put all soldiers in prison of war-camps

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ruge

Post  AltforNorge on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 21:02

June 3. The Government decides to carry on the war from abroad. Ruge was ordered to follow the Government to England. He argued that he would be of no use. "Just another general beaten by the Germans". He argued that it would be better to take General Fleischer, the only general who successfully had fought the Germans. So it ended. Ruge was ordered to sort out the surrender of troops still present in Norway and to demobilize the troops. June 6. The first allied convoy with evacuated British, French and Polish forces leave Norway. June 7. the King and his Government leaves Norway. June 8. The last allied forces leaves Norway. That same night Ruge informed the Norwegian forces that the fight is over and negotioations regarding a capitulization would begin. He had promised the Government not to delay the capitulization, not to give the Germans an excuse for bombing of cities and thereby civilian losses. At 8 o'clock in the evening June 8. he wired to the German Embassy in Stockholm, signalling that was willing to hold the hostillities.

"The chief of staff" har advised the Government at the time beein to stall the fight inside the country. The Government is moving out of the country. The Government is not giving up the fight. On the contrary - it will kepp on fighting from abroad" (Proclamation from the Government June Cool

AltforNorge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What actually took place????

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:49

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top